An organization must have set procedures for emergency evacuation. Preparing for all kinds of emergencies & disasters beforehand is important in the workplace. As a result, it helps execute a hassle-free evacuation. Emergencies and disasters can strike anytime, anyone and anywhere.
What is the best practical way to protect yourself, the company and everybody present on it at any point in time? A well-thought-out emergency evacuation plan, guiding in all course of immediate action.
Let’s first discuss factors your emergency evacuation plan include-
- Study a wide variety of potential emergencies that could occur in your workplace.
- Tailored it your worksite and include information about all potential sources of emergencies.
- Develop an emergency action plan.
- Conduct a hazard assessment to determine what, if any, physical or chemical hazards in your workplace could cause an emergency.
- If you have more than one worksite, each site should have a separate emergency action plan.
A disorganized evacuation can result in injury, chaos and property damage. Therefore, while developing your emergency action plan it is essential to ascertain the following:
- Circumstances under which an evacuation would be required.
- A clear hierarchy to order an evacuation or shutdown. Designate someone as an “evacuation warden” to support others in an evacuation and to account for company personnel.
- Precise evacuation procedures, including directions and exits. Affix these procedures where they are readily accessible to all employees.
- Procedures for aiding people with disabilities or who do not speak English.
- Designated employees who will continue or shut down important operations during an evacuation. These people must be fitting to recognize when to drop the operation and vacate themselves.
- A system for accounting personnel following an evacuation. Also, take into account employees’ transportation requirements for community-wide evacuations.
Here are some tools to simplify the emergency evacuation process. This can sort and accelerate the process.
Emergency Mass Notification System-
The systems are capable of immediately sending out urgent messages to many parties across various channels. EMNS can be invaluable, firstly, because it keeps people informed about what to do during emergency events. Secondly, It reduces panic and minimizes the negative influence of emergencies.
Additional benefits are as follows-
- Prevents a triggering event from intensifying into a bigger problem.
- It saves people involved in a crisis- time & money.
- It can save professional standing in the market and shield clients’ trust in business.
Emergency Exits Signs & Importance-
Company owners know how important it is to appropriately mark the exits. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) administers many specifications for emergency exits signs. This includes everything from letter size and brightness to their position and visibility.
Some points to keep in mind when stationing Exit Signs-
- First and foremost, clarify Non-exit doors and let people know the location of emergency supplies.
- Next, hang a ‘No Exit’ on any door, passage, or stairway that no exit access.
- Also, invest in signs that emit light and stick out of the wall for clear visibility from all directions.
Here are detailed guidelines for evacuation plans and procedures.
Planning your evacuation routes is a humongous task and to top that it has to comply with the guidelines. According to the regulations, your exit route can’t go through a
- Firstly, restrooms
- Secondly, room with hazardous materials
- Thirdly, elevators
Key Features of a map:
- Primary and secondary exits
- Designated Assembly area
- Location of fire extinguishers, first aid kids and industry-specific safety options
- Exit Routes
- Compass to guide the viewers
The US Fire Administration guide will help you draw an evacuation effectively. General Guidelines are
- Depiction of a basic layout
- Make a big sign for easy visibility
- Make a Color Code key to make it easily understandable.
Visitor Management Software
A smart Visitor Management System can store and maintain the comprehensive data of all present at your office premises. Visitors, Contractors, or employees, there is real-time data of several people.
At the time of emergency, the visitor management system will send notifications to and help in effective evacuation of all.
Other notable features of VMS are-
- It maintains the privacy of all visitors.
- Helps with instant check-in and check-outs.
- Boosts work productivity
- It makes your organization compliant friendly.
To sum it up, apart from your company’s’ and employees’ safety, it is equally important to know who else is present in your office. Furthermore, ensure their well-being as well. As the owner, you are responsible for everyone’s safety. Most importantly, take precise care in designing and implementing the emergency evacuation plans and procedures.